FXB- the who, what, and why

Farrel's extreme body shaping aka FXB for short is a combination cardio (kickboxing), strength (resistance bands/body weight/etc), and nutritional planning/support system designed to get you in shape if you're not or in better shape if you are. I've heard the radio ads for years and have seen the gyms around, plus met a few people who've done the program. They start you off with a 10 week challenge to hopefully kick start your lifelong journey towards a healthier you.

While I've heard the ads for years and even toyed occasionally with the idea of signing myself up, I always found reasons not to. It wasn't that I didn't think the program merited the cost or effort, or was over selling its results, but more so that I was either too busy at work, too busy training for mountain bike racing (more on that later), didn't have the spare money, etc. You see the pattern. Additionally, not that I consider myself any super fit athlete or don't have bad eating habits and make questionable exercise choices, but I like to at least think I'm in pretty ok(ish) shape when I'm in training mode for racing my bike and try to make some healthier choices to keep my weight in check.

So, when my wife decides she's ready to make a serious change with her exercise habits and gain her body image self esteem back, I recommended she give FXB a shot or joinging a gym or latching onto something like crossfit. I thought she'd enjoy the overall structure and nature of FXB, plus it would keep her motivated. Indeed, it did. She went the full 10 weeks without skipping a class even while we traveled out of state and she had to find another location to hit while on the road. She most definitely saw results and signed on for a full year to keep up with where she wants to be.

Now, fast forward to her 10 week graduation. We get gussied up and get ready to celebrate with the graduating class and the various coaches and instructors. As we get there, they have a table with some various door prizes and are handing out tickets to those, plus if you're a non-member, you can toss your name in the hat for a free 10 week session. Well, mostly for shits and giggles, I decide to sign up thinking I'd never win. Given that I was just off almost 8 months of solid racing and training for my biggest challenge of a mountain bike race ever, I wasn't even sure what my upcoming schedule or plans were. Plus, for getting ready to turn 40 in a couple weeks, I found myself at or very close to being in the best shape I've ever been. Take two guesses who's name got drawn out of the bowl...

I was chuckling to myself a bit at the seeming absurdity of winning a free fitness class when I was just coming off what I deemed to be pretty peak fitness for myself. I'd dropped over 25 lbs, lost 7% body fat, and spent over 250 hours training and racing since January 1. No offense to anyone in the program, but I was thinking, man, this can't be all that hard. I'm in good bike racing shape and have some pretty solid cardio fitness going. I'd seen my wife come home week after week with new aches, pains, and band bruises, but while still offering and pushing encouragement, I was thinking it was mostly just due to her not having any current fitness when she started. However, I still thought this would be a fun challenge and since I accepted the prize, I was determined to give it an honest run and see how it would be to tackle from a different perspective.

I told a few friends about the challenge and they too wondered what I'd think going in with a fitness base. So, here I am to document (hopefully daily) my thoughts, struggles, and achievements. Let's do this!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 12- legs!

Day 13, another hitch in the giddyup

Day 9, we add a new punch